Written by Sr. Rosemary, O.P.
Readings from: http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/091019.cfm
After reading today’s gospel, I remembered a clever letter that someone sent me awhile back which is well worth reading again. It’s a letter to Jesus from the Jordan Management Consultants.
Thank you for submitting the resumes of the twelve men you have picked for managerial positions in your new organization. All of them have now taken our battery of tests, and we have not only run the results through our computer, but also arranged personal interviews for each of them with our psychologist and vocational aptitude consultant.
The profiles of all tests are included, and you will want to study each of them carefully.
As part of our service, we make some general comments for your guidance. This additional insight is given as a result of staff consultation and comes without any additional fee.
- Simon Peter is emotionally unstable and given to fits of temper.
- Andrew has absolutely no qualities of leadership.
- The two brothers, James and John, the sons of Zebedee, place personal interest above company loyalty.
- Thomas demonstrates a questioning attitude that would tend to undermine morale.
- We feel that it is our duty to tell you that Matthew has been blacklisted by the Greater Jerusalem Better Business Bureau.
- James, the son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus definitely have radical leanings and they both registered a high score on the manic-depressive scale.
It is our opinion that most of your nominees are lacking in background, education and vocational aptitude for the type of enterprise you are undertaking. They do not have the team concept. We would recommend that you continue your search for persons of experience in managerial ability and proven capability.
One of the candidates, however, shows great potential. He is a man of ability and resourcefulness, meets people well, has a keen business mind, and has contacts in high places. He is highly motivated, ambitious, and responsible. We recommend Judas Iscariot as your comptroller and right-hand man. All the other profiles are self-explanatory.
We wish you every success in your new venture.
Jordan Management Consultants
It’s humbling to think Jesus chose us as well, with all our faults and failings. It surely confirms the quote you’ve probably read somewhere along the line which says:
“Jesus doesn’t call the qualified. He qualifies the called.”