What is the Haiti Peace Program?
- involves youth and young adults in faith based peace efforts
- facilitated by professional young Haitian leaders
- promotes peace-building skills
- focuses on leadership training
- studies and summer peace conferences include strategies that promote justice and peace
- teaches communication techniques which improve social interaction and de-escalate conflict
- highlights historic Haitian leaders and their positive contributions to society
- accomplishes the Judeo-Christian principle of caring for others
- include outreach programs, i.e., visiting the elderly
- utilizes drama, sports, singing and dance for community building
- develops value based leadership skills including self-confidence, responsibility, relationship building, and decision making.
- Explains conflict resolution and teaches skills to address conflict such as compromising and collaborating
- Addresses the underlying causes of realistic situations such as domestic abuse, gender bias, etc.
- Educates about the need to make peace with the environment through recycling efforts so as to not contribute to earth’s degradation
- Develops environmental consciousness and the need to protect our planet